Tuesday 7 August 2012

Another day another State

Welcome to New Orleans, Louisiana.

Had a poor sleep last night in Jackson. There was a couple of reasons - we had an air conditioner that had a mind of its own, even when turned off it would start and make some strange noises.

The 2nd reason being the biggest reason, we were relaxing on the bed watching a bit of the Olympics having a drink when Simon flew off the bed and did a full body shiver and said "spider crawled on my arm". Now by this stage i was quivering in the corner. My hunter proceeded to find it again and dealt to it without me seeing a thing. For those of you that know what and how big a huntsman is in Australia - Si said this was very similar. Yuck!

Bout a 3hour drive to one of the places on my tick list - New Orleans. Found a hotel (treated ourselves after last night, it's beautiful!) and then straight to the Natchez the only working paddle steamer in New Orleans. Cruised the Mississippi River and enjoyed some traditional southern food. Jambalaya, fried beans, rice, catfish, coleslaw and bourbon bread and butter pudding! I was once again in my happy place. Live jazz band for entertainment.

Everyone has said about southern hospitality and after about 2 hours here I understand why. The restaurant manager on board - Susie got talking to us and we discovered her husbands birthday was same day as mine. She also told us about the places to visit here that are not so touristy. But the main thing was she said I'm texting my husband and I want you to go to the bar he is working at in Bourbon Street and he will shout you a birthday drink. We proceeded to go there after the cruise and had 2 of the strongest drinks we've had in a bar yet. I swear he just put a teaspoon of soda in my vodka. Very nice bar/restaurant so we will be returning for food. They both now have a Kiwi souvenir.

Was a guy being interviewed in front of a bar. I took a photo of him and then was told he's a famous jazz person. Kermit Ruffins Shame I've never heard of him but will google him. His photo could be worth something. Haha.

Bout to head out for a stroll on Bourbon Street again. Bet it looks different than this afternoon.

Simon has booked an adventure tour for early tomorrow morning but I'll leave the details till tomorrows blog. So won't be a late night.

See y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.